It’s no secret that we love Amazon Prime. They had me at free 2 day shipping, but when they rolled out Prime TV and Video I’ve never looked back. My favorite evening is sitting in my living room by the light of our tree watching Christmas movies. Add in some popcorn and hot chocolate and I’m in heaven. I’ve taught the kids well, because by November 1st they are asking for movie night!
With the digital age it’s become easier than ever to stream movies over TV, laptops and tablets – and a huge perk of Prime are the thousands of movies that are FREE to stream over and over. Since I’m a Christmas movie fanatic and would watch them year round, I love when Amazon updates their movie lists!
Since we are all about frugal family fun, I’ve come up an easy way to create a magical movie date for my sweet family. You can totally do this as a planned family event, or even last minute if you need an inside activity!
Setting up a Movie Date
- Your favorite movie – see our list below!
- Fun paper products
That’s all you need – and you can get all of this at the Dollar Store or the Dollar Spot at Target! Once you have the supplies, it’s time to get ready. First off, you’ll need to pick a movie. I’ve learned that it’s much better to pick the movie ahead of time than to let the kids pick what they want.
Favorite Christmas Movies
Here are just a few of my favorites that I’ll be streaming this year over Amazon Prime. Some are family friendly and some are more adultish (you know, PG-13 because that’s how we roll) but every movie on this list is included with Prime membership.
- The Holiday
- Falling for Christmas
- The Year Without a Santa Clause
- Journey to Paradise
- A Christmas Tree Miracle
- By God’s Grace
- Home for Christmas
- Christmas Angel
- Christmas with the Kranks
- A Christmas to Remember
- Christmas Child
- Miracle on 34th Street
- Jack Frost
- Minecraft Mini Christmas Movies
- Inside LEGO at Christmas
Once you have the movie picked out, you need to figure a date and time. Sometimes we do a later movie night once the 3 littles are in bed. On other days I’ll set up a lunch movie date for Sophie, Bella and Sam. Set up can be as fancy or as simple as you want.
Easy Set Up for a Christmas Movie Date
- Stockpile holiday and winter themed paper plates and napkins from the Dollar Store. They add a festive touch to simple snacks and make clean up a breeze!
- Juice boxes or a fun punch of juice w/ginger ale make a festive drink
- Pop some popcorn, make up a tray with cheese and crackers, and put some movie candy in fun tubs.
- Throw a fun tablecloth on the carpet (no worry about spills) and make sure extra blankets and pillows are ready for snuggles.
- Start the movie and enjoy!
These are the moments that I want my kids to look back and remember. The fun of sitting on the floor with treats while watching a movie. Popcorn and candy that they can have before dinner. Sharing laughter and smiles and not worrying about spills. These are the small moments that make every Christmas season special to me.