We switched to Netflix from cable over a year ago, and it’s still one the best money saving decisions we have made! There are a number of reasons that I like Netflix, but one of my pet peeves was not being able to block certain shows from the KIDS profile.
Obviously all families are different, and what your kids watch will differ from what my kids watch. Since Netflix can be streamed over Kindle Fire, lapbooks and television it can be hard to make sure the kids are watching what we deem appropriate for them.
When you set up the KIDS profile on Netflix, if you check the button that says KIDS the only content that Netflix will show that profile is for either *little kids only* or *for older kids and below* which you can choose from a drop down menu. The content that Netflix will filter is for kids 12 and under. That’s a great start – but what if you don’t want your kids to watch Pokemon or Barney?
There IS a way to filter content specific to your family needs! Here’s what to do:
- Click on MANAGE PROFILES
- Change the KIDS profile to adult by unchecking the box marked *kids*
- Enter the KIDS Netflix profile
- Hover your mouse or remote over a show that you want to block and click on the THUMBS DOWN icon. You’ll notice that the show/movie is greyed out.
- Continue until you have blocked what you don’t want your kids to see.
- Exit KIDS profile and go back to MANAGE PROFILES
- Change the KIDS profile back to kids by checking the box marked *kids* and make sure to choose the correct drop down menu you want “for little kids only” or “for older kids and below”.
That’s it! I was thrilled to figure this out and while I still watch what the kids are watching, I feel a little more secure knowing that content I don’t want them to view is not available to them!