With five kids in eight years, I’ve become an expert on efficiently packing a diaper bag. With our first child Sophie, I brought everything in the nursery, including the kitchen sink. Tell me I’m not the only first time parent who did this, please!!
When Bella arrived 20 months later, I realized that I either needed a bigger diaper bag, or perhaps I didn’t need to bring as much stuff that I thought I did. I pared down a little bit, but still carted around a lot of stuff.
Enter Sam 2 years later and now I was packing for three kids…..and it became apparent that I really needed to streamline my diaper bag packing. I started working on that, and then Little Man arrived……and now we have Sweet Pea and I’m packing for five. Yikes! Since I only want to bring one diaper bag with me I’ve finally figured out what I really NEED to bring.
I’ve put together a cute printable that I can use to make sure I have what I need when I’m trying to pack the diaper bag, feed the baby and juggle the needs of my demanding one year old…all the while keeping Sam from throwing Legos all over the floor. Seriously, it’s a never ending circus in our house most days! I laminated this and it hangs on the inside of our pantry door. I use a dry erase marker to mark what I need to add to the diaper bag, which makes it super easy to keep my diaper bag stocked!
Here’s a look inside my diaper bag. I use a JJ Cole Bucket Tote bag and I LOVE it! I bought it on sale at Babies R Us and it’s my all time favorite bag. I’ve also used a Petunia Pickle Bottom bag and a few Carters diaper bags.
- Diapers – 3 diapers for Sweet Pea; 2 diapers for Little Man; 1 pull up for Sam.
- Underwear – 1 pair of underwear for Sam.
- Clothes – 1 outfit for Sweet Pea; 1 outfit for Little Man; 1 outfit for Sam. These are usually 1 piece outfits because they take up less space.
- Changing pad. My MIL made mine so it’s big enough for both Little Man and Sweet Pea.
- 1 small receiving blanket. Perfect for swaddling, cleaning up spills, etc.
- Bib and burp cloth for Sweet Pea. She’s a messy eater.
- Wipes – enough said.
- Plastic Bags – 1 gallon size, 3-4 quart size. Perfect for wet clothing, stinky diapers, etc.
- First Aid Kit
- 6-7 Band aids. At the moment we are stocking Star Wars and Rapunzel.
- First Aid Cream
- Hand wipes – you can never have too many!
- Kleenex – handy for runny noses and to clean up a scrape.
- Tweezers and Nail clippers – splinters and nails.
- Vaseline – chapped lips, scrapes, chapped skin
- Q-Tips – cleaning wounds, dabbing on cream
- 360 cups for Sam and Little Man – in the side pockets.
- Small craft books and colored pencils for busy work
If we are going to be gone for a longer periods of time I make sure to grab a few snacks but that’s it. Keeping the diaper bag stocked has been such a time saver – I no longer stress about trying to pack the diaper bag when I’m trying to get five kids out the door. Now I just grab it and go!
I’d love to know what’s hiding in YOUR diaper bag?!