Today, at 11:00am EST Little Man’s case goes before the judge. The state is asking the judge to terminate the parental rights of the BM so that we can petition the state for legal custody via adoption.
Our case worker will present evidence that the BM has not set or achieved any of her parenting goals and explain why the state feels that the best place for little man is with us.
Then the law guardian will present why she feels it’s in the little man’s best interest to stay with us.
The BM (if she appears) and her lawyer will be able to testify as to what she wants and what plan (if any) she may have.
We do not have to appear at this time.
Then we wait for a decision, which could come anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks. Depending on the judge’s decision we will know what direction the case will move in. If the judge does terminate the BM’s rights, then we have to wait out the appeal process that the BM is allowed by law before we can file for adoption.
We are one step closer – but every step seems to take just a little bit longer!
My emotions are all over the place right now. We love this little man and truly believe that we are the best placement option for him. The birth father has already signed his parental rights to us for adoption. The state case workers, law guardian and even the BM’s attorney have been pushing for her to surrender her rights since he was placed with us.
But while to me it seems like an easy decision, in truth it’s not. She carried this little man and gave him life. She has made a lot of really bad choices in her life and sadly is now dealing with the realities of those choices. She knows she can’t parent him and has never made an effort to see him – but I think the finality of TPR is setting in for her. I wish there were some way that I could make this decision easier on her, but I can’t.
We’ve agreed to open contact (as long as she is clean) and will send photos/updates so she can see him as he grows….but it’s not the same, and I know it.
My prayer today is that the case gets heard, that the BM would attend and hear how well he is doing, and that she surrender instead of having to go through with termination. At this point it’s out of our hands and into the hands of the BM and the judge.
And soon, the next step will become clear. But until then, we wait and pray and trust.