Ten Signs You Are Ready to be a Foster Parent

Every time I post about our foster adventures, I get emails with questions about fostering, which I love! This has quickly become a passion of mine and I enjoy talking about the good {and the bad}.

Here are my thoughts on if you are ready to be a foster parent…

10. You don’t mind your entire life being an open book. Literally. The moment you decide to move forward with foster care your life is documented over and over again.

9.   Being finger printed doesn’t scare you.

8.   You are able to free up your schedule to attend hours of training, some relevant and some not-so relevant.

7.   Having access to extra clothing, diapers, baby items, books, toys, etc is very helpful. Sometimes the agency will provide them, but many times it‘s what you have on hand.

6.   You are able to be flexible. Very, very flexible. Even after a year, it still surprises me how quickly situations change and children are always caught in the balance.

5.   You have a strong support system. Having a good case worker is awesome, but having a group of friends who you can call when you need to laugh or cry or vent is priceless.

4.   You understand that while you are paid a stipend while you care for a child, it will not make you rich, and you probably spend more than you take in.

3.   You can listen without judging. You will instantly learn more than you wanted to know about a situation, and it can be overwhelming.

2.   You are able to not gossip about the child that you are caring for. Even little ones hear more than we are aware, and it‘s so important for them to know that they are in a safe place with people they can trust.

1.   You can drop everything at a moment’s notice when that phone rings and be ready to go.  When a child needs a placement it generally happens within 24 hours, often times sooner.

What do you think? Are you ready to be a foster parent?

Comments

1. Michelle says:

We are ready! I hope! We received our first call this morning. I am frantically reading everything I can find and I don’t even know yet if we will be the family picked for these brothers. I pray that they will be placed with us. It will be our first placement. I pray now for guidance and understanding if we are not picked!

• How exciting for you!! I’ll be praying for you and for those little boys. I think every call we get is still like the first time – so many unknowns, and yet trusting that we will be the correct match for the child.

2. Jennifer Reid says:

I am excited to find your page. I am also a Pastor’s wife. We are returning to fostering and are tackling babies this time. We are just waiting for the call now. :).

• Hi Jennifer!! How exciting for you :) I love meeting foster families and ministry families! I pray that all goes well as you transition back into fostering.

3. We have been foster parents since February and have had 6 kids so far. It is very rewarding and now I cant imagine life without little feet. We have been so blessed to be able to provide for kids and open our home. Sometimes it can be stressful but just remember you are making a positive influence in these children’s lives. Good luck to you all!!!

4. Holly Stiles says:

We are in the process of taking our MAPP classes! One more Saturday to go and then on to our home study…We have three children ages 9, 5 & 1. We homeschool as well. So excited about this new chapter in our lives!

• Wow – how exciting!! It’s such a fun time – and then when that phone rings my nerves always jump :) It’s SO nice to *meet* you!!

5. Angela Hevron says:

I received my paperwork but can’t really fill it out until I come back to Texas in August (I am currently teaching English to blind children in Korea). Being a single woman, I am nervous about becoming a foster mom, but I know God has called me to do it. It’s just scary. There is SO much paperwork….answering questions that I don’t even begin to know how to answer.
    Angela

• Oh, I totally know what you mean! The amazing amount of paperwork was crazy, and admittedly you get very good at keeping track and creating a good filing system :) I think you will be great – fostering is all about loving one child at a time and helping them see that YOU believe in them!! If you have any questions that I might be able to help with, please feel free to let me know. I am always happy to chat about fostering :)

And, I love that you are in Korea teaching English! What an amazing opportunity!!

6. Thank you for sharing your story! We were just approved last Monday and we are so excited to get “the call”. My husband has laughed at me because we have EVERYTHING I think one could possible need to be prepared. We know God has a plan and we cannot wait to see it unfold. It is always encouraging to hear others share their stories. Thank you for propelling HOPE!

• Yay!! What an amazing journey you are about to embark on :) It’s awesome when you can look back and see how God’s hand was on each placement as they enter your home. Be blessed!!

7. Hope Coen says:

We just got our first placement(s), two weeks ago tomorrow, and it has been rough and amazing at time same time. We love them so much, and can’t wait until they understand why. They are amazing kids and they can break and melt your heart at the same time.
    Be ready to pray, if you aren’t already, not only for strength for yourselves, but for them, their families, and the caseworkers too.
    Everyone involved, no matter how hard it may be to do so, need love and support.
    God bless all of you who are fostering, about to start fostering, have fostered, or are on the path of adoption, it is a journey that is so hard and so worth it!
    I’m so glad we opened our home and our hearts!!

8. Jamie wray says:

We are in week 6 of 9 in our pride class me and my husband are a little nervous but exited to see what God has in store for us

• How exciting!! I remember those nerves and anticipation equally! Good luck with your classes :) God’s plan is perfect and awesome!!

9. Sylvia Garcia says:

I am a current Foster Parent who lost 4 wonderful Foster kids on June 15,2014. I had them for one year. All four of them had Marfans Disease. I had them at Driscoll hospital alot due to doctors apptmts. Due to some issues that occurred with the 9 year old girl they were removed from our home. It was very devastating for us because they were doing very well in our home.. We feel CPS and Licensing took matters in a wrong way. I would really like to speak to someone and get some advice. I miss not having children in my home. Thank you… Sylvia Garcia…

10. Thank you for sharing your life and this list. Our family also knows God has called us to help in the foster care/adoption ministry. We hope to become a foster family some time in the near future. I understand that after all the hard work to become a foster family, we would all be excited to help but you are not really excited to get a call, right? I would think that our prayer would be that we don’t get a call. That no child is being neglected, abused or left an orphan. We mentor youth in the foster care until they are adopted and our prayer is that our mentorship does last long because if it doesn’t, it means our mentee is in a forever family. Blessings to all!!

11. Kathy Spencer says:

WOW…this list is so true! We have been a foster family for 6 1/2 yrs now. We have adopted 4, fostered 1 that went back to Grandma and then we are in the process of adopting 2 more. We also have 2 Bio daughters 18 and 15. So the 6 Foster/Adopt are from ages 1-9. We never thought we would ever have 8 children but when you get that phone call for siblings it is so hard to say no. I have two wonderful daughters and a husband that has been my rock through this all. So many ups and downs and worrying that they would go back home when you know that would not be the best interest of the child. I had always wanted to Adopt and I got my wish…God has been so good to us :) Thanks so much to all the families that gives kids a home and family. Love the Spencer <3

Trackbacks

1. […] When you sign up to be a foster parent it seems to be all roses.  The premise is simple – a child needs a home and you, the foster parent can provide one.  Food, shelter, clothing, love – it all falls into place and in the magic of the beginning it’s bliss. […]